Sunday, August 15, 2010

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day: August 2010

P1020046
So, summer's in full swing, and even the prolific bloomers, like flame acanthus are not very photogenic right now. It's just too hot (up around a hundred everyday) to look pretty. But the obedient plant on the north side of the house (just a couple of hours of morning sun) started blooming this week and is a refreshing spot of color.
P1020054
P1020043
P1020075
P1020058
Close-up of obedient plant; golden cosmos with tiny pink butterfly; the chives in the front just sent up buds this week; and this caterpillar on the milkweed is new...maybe a Queen caterpillar of the monarch family.

Also blooming right now: turk's cap, chaste tree, russian sage, flame acanthus, indigo spires sage, mexican petunia, standing cypress, firebush, and thryallis. And to see what's blooming around the world today, visit May Dreams.

10 comments:

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

Wow. That's a stunning orange color, just love it. And, your caterpillar pic is very pretty. Actually all of them are. Wish we could enjoy little pink butterflies... Happy Bloom Day!

Anonymous said...

I never saw a pink butterfly, but I kinda created one for my banner in Illustrator. We are lacking in butterflies this year, so I have been on a quest to find as many as I can. One blogger told me they have so many out west that it is hard to get an image with out them on the plant. You pink one is so adorable. You photos are outstanding. Love the caterpillar shot. I love your banner. I am assuming that you do the art on your site.

Noel Morata said...

aloha,

so many beautiful blooms today, your garden looks great and that pink acanthus is stunning :)

Amy Farrier said...

Thanks everyone, and Happy Bloom Day to you, too! So, I looked it up, and the pink butterfly is actually a Southern Pink Moth. Hmm. And, yes, I did the banner, but I have a separate site for illustration (although they sometimes overlap): http://threeravenspress.blogspot.com/

RBell said...

Beautiful obedient plant - might have to consider that for a pot. And the caterpillar is really cool.

Houston Garden Girl said...

HI, this the first time I've visited your blog. I like your story about the name, I had the same experience with my first plumerias. I almost pulled up my obedient plant this year. It's blooming so nicely right now that I am glad I didn't.

Megan said...

Beautiful blooms!!! The caterpillar is great :)

Amy Farrier said...

No plumeria this year so far, but I'm still hoping. As for obedient plant, they're super low-maintenance (they just pop up on their own every year, though they do appreciate a bit of water), but not very attractive without flowers. Just a tall, skinny scrap of a plant that falls over easily, and last year they decided not too bloom at all. But when they bloom, loveliness.

Rose said...

Thanks for showing the Obedient plant in bloom--mine are just showing a few buds, so now I'm excited to see them bloom, too. I think we have the same type of cosmos; aren't they great? The caterpillar photo is amazing! It certainly looks like a very distinguished catt. Thanks for visiting me!

Anonymous said...

I have never grown Obedient Plant. Yours is truely lovely. I may need to give it a try. Love the caterpillar on the milkweed. Happy GBBD!

Yael from Home Garden Diggers