Saturday, March 24, 2012

Iris, canna, and the last turnip

IMG_4167 IMG_4168 This is part of a large stand of Louisiana iris that survived being parked on for months (renovation), no supplemental water through the drought, and a general ignoring since then (except for digging in a little compost recently). I was pleasantly surprised to see the foliage pop up last fall, and I was really excited to a bud forming a couple of days ago. This one's lovely, and I hope there are more blooms to follow. IMG_4165 I forget what kind of canna this is, but I potted it last spring and it didn't bother blooming all year. Now it's doing it's thing; the orange bloom fades to a soft red on day 2. IMG_4160 Time to pull up the final winter root vegetables, and the kale's getting muscled out by two giant dill plants. But it all still tastes great. IMG_4170 Love that this tomato just volunteered. Was it from someone's backyard lunch? A bird? Who knows. IMG_4172 Plants for the front landscape project. Had to battle for parking at Barton Springs Nursery this morning, but I got some good ones: artemesia powis castle, greg's mist, pink gaura, Mexican feathergrass, firecracker fern, and a burgundy hibiscus (the one thing that wasn't on my list, but it was too gorgeous in color to pass up...there was a burgundy leaved smoke tree that was really tempting, but definitely not an impulse buy!)

No comments: